HOME | ABOUT | FORUM | FILES | ARTICLES | MULTIPLAYER | FAQ | STORE | GALLERY
Terms of use • Privacy statement  

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Question for all you oculus cv1 users, Whats it like at night?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
trooping
(HC150TR)

Group: Member
Posted: Mar. 13 2017,21:05

Hey All,

Got a question for all of you guys that have the CV1, Xplane and fly the 407, S92, S76 or AS350.

Im about to get myself the Rift, Im convinced that its the best thing to being there from all I have seen on youtube and read in reviews.  I want to move away from the traditional home cockpit and just have a nice and compact setup.

One thing that nobody ever seems to write about in their reviews, or post on youtube, is what is it like flying at night in helicopters on the Rift?  Is the lighting awesome?  Do get that "real" feeling like your in the aircraft and how do all the backlit panels look?

If anyone cares to answer or post a video up, Id love to know before buying one...

Trooping.
Profile PM 
Mickey700
(HC911MI)

Posted: Mar. 14 2017,18:40

Hi Trooping,

i cant speak for x-plane but i can speak for P3D3.x. Im not a real world chopper pilot but i do fly as a CPT on an CRJ so i can give a little feedback real vs Rift.

I did a few spins in FS choppers like all MilViz and Nemeth choppers. Altough that the FOV is a kind of obstructed due to the so called screendoor effect. It feels a bit like wearing snowboard goggles. But the feeling of being "inside" the cockpit and and hovering is way better than flying 2D. Im now able to have the feeling of depth and better attitude anticipation. Also head movement is more natural than with for ex TrackIR.

To answer your question about night flying, on one hand it is really good and stunning but the down thing is that that the night lighting might be a bit to bright and it will reflect in the lenses. Maybe my sim might be a bit too bright.

Hope that helps :)

--------------
i7 3770K oc 4.5 GHz  Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Asus nVdia GTX 780Ti | 8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 CL9 1600 | Corsair Hydro Series H80 | OCZ VERTEX 4 128 GB | Crucial M4 256 GB for FSX | Crucial M4 512 GB for P3D2 | Windows Pro 7 64 | TM Warthog | Komodosim VBS Pro Cyclic AS350

My YouTube Channel

[img]http://www.fsfiles.org/flights....mg]
Profile PM 
19dcavscout
(HC68019)

Posted: Mar. 15 2017,12:46

I have heard issues with the Rift about the resolution of it. I have heard its really hard to read gauges and such while flying normally. Is this true?
Profile PM 
Mickey700
(HC911MI)

Posted: Mar. 15 2017,15:22

Hi scout,

well the resolution is somwhat ok. The guages are a little bit blurry but readable. You cant compare it with an HD or an UHD display. I dont mind it ATM i have some PC power left to add som SGSS so it would get a bit better. Going for max resolution and my settings will bring my 1080 to its knees.

--------------
i7 3770K oc 4.5 GHz  Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Asus nVdia GTX 780Ti | 8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 CL9 1600 | Corsair Hydro Series H80 | OCZ VERTEX 4 128 GB | Crucial M4 256 GB for FSX | Crucial M4 512 GB for P3D2 | Windows Pro 7 64 | TM Warthog | Komodosim VBS Pro Cyclic AS350

My YouTube Channel

[img]http://www.fsfiles.org/flights....mg]
Profile PM 
nightsta1ker
(HC479NI)

Group: Certified Pilot
Posted: Mar. 18 2017,05:49

So as both a real world professional helicopter pilot and a sim enthusiast who owns a cv1 and flies it in x-plane 10,  I can tell you a couple of things.  1: if you really want to max out the graphics capabilities in the Rift, you need to use supersampling.  I recommend you find the Oculus Tray Tool app.  The trade-off is that this will usually crush your frame rates.  Even with the best new GPU, you will have trouble running X-plane maxed out on the Rift.

2.  My first experience flying helicopters in x-plane using the rift made me nearly vomit.  I would HIGHLY recommend you find a place that has an Oculus demo station so you can try it before you buy it.  I am about 50/50 on whether or not I want to even keep mine because half the time I get sick after half an hour or so of play.

--------------
"No sh!t there I was... inverted with a sling load... Air Medals dangling in my face... taking head shots out the window with my 9mm... couldn't push the pedals because the chin-bubble was full of grenade pins..."

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums....mg]
Profile PM YIM 
trooping
(HC150TR)

Posted: Mar. 20 2017,18:31

Nightstalker,

Can you elaborate more on why it makes you sick?  Is it because your body is not moving in concert with the screen as it would in a full motion sim?  I dont really suffer from any motion sickness ( or no motion sickness if that makes sense... ) so not sure that would be a factor for me.

Also, what is your verdict on how the CV1 represents full immersion, like actually being in the cockpit itself?  I know most people say that this is the best thing about the rift, however I like to get as many opinions as I can, especially from the helicopter community and Xplane users.

My favourite helicopter to fly in Xplane is the 407, and with those full length windows on the cockpit doors visibility Im sure in the rift would be excellent - what is your opinion on this?

Also, as mentioned, most people are saying that depth perception is dramatically improved - a big bonus for landing.  One thing that I always struggle with in 2D on the computer monitor is that last couple of feet when I am putting it down or trying to get into an IGE hover - I am hoping the rift will fix this issue.

Lastly, what is your opinion on the night flying in the rift?  Do you have the light reflection in the lenses issue that was mentioned?

Thanks
Trooping.
Profile PM 
Shawn
(HC356SH)

Group: Student Pilot
Posted: April 22 2017,06:21

I just tried the rift tonight and even though the resolution wasn't great the feeling of being inside the cockpit was more than enough to make up for it. I did fly at night as well and actually preferred it to daytime as the resolution issue didn't feel like it mattered so much. I was running the rift on a pretty trick computer with the latest Kaby Lake processor and a 1080 GPU, I didn't see any issue with frame rates or stutters but I would imagine a lesser computer might not deal with this so well. Hovering was a totally different experience, better than anything I have tried before.

Shawn
Profile PM 
RCFlyer
(HC065RC)

Group: Certified Pilot
Posted: April 22 2017,14:06

Not fair, Shawn.  Did you buy it?  Man, now what are going to do with those screens?

Danny

--------------
Danny

Profile PM 
trooping
(HC150TR)

Posted: April 23 2017,16:00

Hey Guys,

Well thanks for all the reply's, I actually purchased the CV1 and leap motion about a month ago but I was waiting on a new graphics card to come before I got everything set up.  My new R480X arrived so it was time to get this thing going.

Previous to that, I took the advice here and went to Best Buy to demo it.  Absolutely loved it!  The initial demo with the city view and the dinosaur walking through the hallway had me.  $500 bucks later I was walking out the door with one.

So, here goes my view on it all.  I think the first and most important thing to remember is that this thing is essentially a work in progress, despite everything being available at the retail level, and that includes everything from the rift itself through to leap motion and flyinside.  A word of warning for all - expect some frustration with the sensor and with the installation right through to crash to desktops and flyinside Zplane bugs.

I had a whole day of frustration just in step 1, installing the rift software.  Im running Windows 7, and the rift software kept saying I needed those 2 updates.  When I go to install said updates, Windows tells me I already have them.  And so goes the merry go round.  In short, lots of people have had this problem, plenty of info on google on how to get around this.

Second, the sensor.  Apparently this is also a well known problem with disconnects and jumpiness.  Unfortunately mine was not immune.  I have a constant problem with the image randomly jerking for a split second or two ( no disconnects, yet ) and this is still a problem that I am trying to figure out.  Also occasionally, instead of being able to lean in to look at dials and instruments, sometimes the whole aircraft will move forward ( instead of just my head ) so this is another strange occurrence.

Thirdly, Flyinside for Xplane is still a work in progress, and has some weird quirks that Im still trying to figure out.  To hard to explain in words really.

Lastly, the resolution.  Do not believe what you are watching on youtube videos - the videos shown are the image from the computer monitor, not inside the rift so the resolution looks amazing.  This IS NOT the case inside the headset.  There is a very noticeable screen door effect and the image is in my opinion, quite blurry.  Instruments in some aircraft are unreadable.  It seems to me all that money spent on scenery enhancements is not going to matter much....

So with all that negative stuff out of the way, your probably thinking "well why bother"?

Why?  Because it is AWESOME!!  Once you are in that cockpit, the feeling of being there is totally unmatched.  It really blew me away the first time it loaded and I was sitting in the Bell 429 ( which is now my favourite ).  It really makes you believe that you can just reach out and touch buttons and flip toggle switches, which you can with leap motion ( more amazing stuff!)

The depth perception is unmatched, and a critical requirement for us rotorheads.  My taxing, hovering and landings are 1000 times better.  The ability to just look around as you would in real life just makes the experience unbelievable.  You have the ability to have what you need in real life, peripheral vision.  I was doing pinnacle approaches that I just could not get a grasp on flying with a monitor.

And you actually feel like you are moving.  I would be lying if I said I did not move my body unconsciously when flying.  This is the experience you get.  This is what makes it all worth it.

So, long story short, Im sold.  Despite all the frustrations and the software, this VR thing has a serious future.  And if you think about it, how many developers over the last years always pitch "fully clickable 3D cockpit ( no 2D panels included )??  The rift takes advantage of this, and the immersion is unmatched.

This is simming for me from now on.  Cockpit building for me is now over.....

Trooping.
Profile PM 
8 replies since Mar. 13 2017,21:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]